Au Pair FAQs

/Au Pair FAQs
Au Pair FAQs2024-04-28T22:39:10+00:00
Au Pairs

We encourage you to choose a Host Family based on lifestyle, hobbies and other interests similar to your own. The family you join is more important than their location. It’s important to remember the more flexible you are in choosing your location, the faster you will be able to match with a Host Family.

The more experience you have, the more attractive you will be as an Au Pair candidate. Host Families are always looking for an experienced Au Pair. However, there are other qualities that are important for placement such as maturity, a sense of responsibility, an interest in cultural exchange and a genuine desire to take care of children.

Yes, both our Au Pair Plus and Premiere Au Pair Programs are designed for Au Pairs with more experience. Depending on your qualifications and experience, you may be able to register for multiple programs; therefore increasing your chances of matching.

No, it is a violation of U.S. Department of State regulations for you to work outside of the Au Pair program and will result in early dismissal from the program.

Host Family selection is regulated by the U.S. Department of State and includes at minimum:

  • Host parents are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
  • Host parents are fluent in spoken English
  • All adult members of the household are personally interviewed by organizational representative
  • All adult members of the household successfully pass a background check including employment verification and personal character references
  • Host Family has adequate financial resources to undertake hosting obligations
  • Understand the exchange program and parameters of Host Family and Au Pair duties, participation and obligations

Go Au Pair screens and selects potential Host Families through the following:

  • Host Family profile
  • Host Family Interview
  • Employment Verification
  • References
  • Host Family agreement

Au Pair selection is regulated by the U.S. Department of State and includes at minimum:

  • The Au Pair is between the ages of 18 and 26
  • Secondary school graduate, or equivalent
  • Proficient in spoken English
  • Capable of fully participating as evidenced by satisfactory completion of a physical exam
  • Personally interviewed, in English, by organizational representative
  • Successfully passed a background investigation which includes verification of school, three non-family personal and employment references, criminal background check and successfully pass a psychometric test

Go Au Pair screens and selects potential Au Pairs through the following:

  • Au Pair profile
  • Photo copies of official documents such as passport, school diploma, driver’s license, certificates, etc.
  • Au Pair agreement

Au Pair selection is performed primarily by our International Representatives in the Au Pair’s home country.

No, Go Au Pair cannot guarantee a visa for any Au Pair. Go Au Pair provides the Form DS-2019 and coaching/training to you to best prepare you for your Embassy visit and interview.

Issuance of the J-1 visa, like all non-immigrant visas, is at the discretion of Consular Officers viewing visa applications at U.S. embassies and consulates. This means even if you are accepted to an exchange visitor program and have received your DS-2019, the Consular Officers decide if you receive the J-1 visa.

(from the U.S. Department of State website, visit for most up to date information and to learn more)

The Form DS-2019 or “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status” is the basic document used in the administration of the exchange visitor program. This form permits a prospective exchange visitor to seek an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in order to obtain a J-1 visa to enter the United States.

The Exchange Visitor (J-1) non-immigrant visa category is for individuals approved to participate in work and study based exchange visitor programs, which enable foreign nationals to visit the United States in order to experience life in the U.S.

This means that before you can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate for a J-1 visa, you must first apply, meet the requirements and be accepted to an exchange visitor program through a designated sponsor organization. If you are accepted as a participant in an exchange program, the sponsor will provide you with information and documents necessary to apply for the J-1 visa to enter the U.S.

(from the U.S. Department of State website, visit for most up to date information and to learn more)

Yes, during the first 12 months of the Au Pair program, you are free to travel internationally. However, it is your responsibility to ensure you have the appropriate visa for the country you are visiting. Certain steps must be taken to ensure successful international travel and we require you contact your Local Area Representative and Go Au Pair prior to your trip.

Whether you need a state driver’s license depends on the state in which you live and the auto insurance provider of your Host Family. You should try to obtain an international license or equivalent prior to your arrival in the United States.

You and your Host Family have a Local Area Representative within a one-hour drive of your home to help resolve any problems that arise during the year. If you do have a problem, you can contact your Local Area Representative and schedule a meeting with her to try to resolve the problem.

No, you are not expected to clean the entire house, do the family laundry or to regularly prepare meals for your entire Host Family.

Your duties as an Au Pair relate to taking care of the children. These responsibilities may include cleaning up after the children, preparing meals, doing the children’s laundry and other child care related items.

No, as an Au Pair you cannot work in any capacity outside of the duties specified in the Au Pair program regulations while residing in the U.S. on the J-1 visitor exchange visa under Go Au Pair sponsorship.

The Au Pair stipend is the term for the amount paid to you by your Host Family, as agreed upon by you and your Host Family. The stipend provided to you is a minimum and must conform with minimum wage law and adjustments. The Department of State in conjunction with the Department of Labor have provided the following guideline for this wage and the credit for room and board which is applied against the weekly stipend.

The calculation for the minimum Au Pair stipend is as follows:
(Federal Minimum Wage) x (Number Hours worked per week) – (40% credit for room and board) = (Au Pair stipend)

($7.25) x (45 hours) – (40% credit) = $195.75 per week

This is to be the minimum for a standard Au Pair (Educare is $146.81), but Au Pairs and Families are free to agree to compensation higher than this minimum.

Yes, you are allowed to care for special needs children, as identified by your Host Family, when you have specifically identified your prior experience, skills or training in the care of special needs children and your Host Family has reviewed and acknowledged in writing your prior experience, skills or training so identified.

You can care for children between the ages of 3 months and 17 years. You can assist parents with the care of a child younger than 3 months, but you cannot take full responsibility for the child nor be the sole responsible adult.

All Au Pairs receive a basic traveler’s health insurance. You receive the most basic plan with the option to upgrade the policy for an additional fee. Traveler’s insurance is not a comprehensive health insurance and is designed to cover emergencies only.

Au Pairs and Host Families working with Go Au Pair are provided extensive details about the health insurance plans, coverage, doctor options and other specifics.

The Au Pair and Host Family Orientation is an in person meeting with you, your Host Family and your Local Area Representative which occurs shortly after you arrive to your Host Family’s home. The main objective of the Au Pair and Host Family Orientation is to lay the foundation for a successful experience.

Some of the topics in the Host Family and Au Pair Orientation include your responsibilities, schedules, stipend and education as well as the Host Family’s specific child care requirements and house rules. Insurance, local area information and problem resolution are also covered.

No, an Au Pair cannot be shared between multiple families. Department of State regulations restrict your placement to one family at a time and your Form DS-2019 and visa reflect this restriction.

Department of State regulations require a Local Area Representative live within one hour’s driving time of the Host Family. Distances covered by one hour’s driving time vary across locations in the U.S. Contact our office to determine if your local area is serviced by Go Au Pair.

Yes, the U. S. Department of State allows Au Pairs to stay an additional 6, 9 or 12 months after their first year. Certain terms apply and you should contact Go Au Pair to learn more.

Yes, the U.S. Department of State has allowed for a 30 day grace period for travel before returning home. We encourage Au Pairs to take advantage of this time to see the U.S while they are already in the states.

Please note that this 30 day grace period is for travel inside the U.S. only. If you travel outside of the U.S. during your 30 day grace period, you will not be allowed back in the country.

This website uses cookies and third party services to provide the best possible user experience. Click Here to learn more. Ok